Health Education Center’s Community Interpreter Training is International Medical Interpreters Association (IMIA) approved.
Our full 40-hour course will be online-interactive on Saturdays beginning February 18 through April 22, 2023, 9am-1pm followed by a required clinical.
Our Community Interpreter Training establishes the foundation for all community interpreters by providing specialized training in community service interpretation.
In addition to expertise in the code of ethics and the modes and techniques of community interpreting, an interpreter must understand cultural systematics that make communication skills pertinent in healthier & safer lifestyles.
The course entails 40-hours of highly interactive practice sessions and role-plays. Each course accommodates up to 15 participants and on average requires 8 hours of homework.
Some of the core components include:
- The profession of a Community Interpreting;
- Identifying the Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice;
- Legal Foundations of Community Interpreters;
- Interpreting protocols and skills, strategic mediation, techniques, modes of interpreting, guiding the encounter;
- Cultural Competency and communicating with respect to all cultures;
- Real time, real world interpreter training with qualified interpreters;
- Professional identity and Professional Practice;
- Improving Memory Skills Self-Care and Personal Wellness;
- Complete Practicum that allows for leadership and real-life experience;
- Writing skills & techniques;
- And now: Interpreting via telecommunication platforms.